Sunday 8 December 2013

2nd Draft - Short Film


SELF-FEEDBACK

For my second set of drafts I wanted myself to evaluate my own work - I know that one major problem that most people have is evaluating and depicting their own work and criticizing it. I used this opportunity to find the needed improvements for my short film but also at the same time work on my feedback not only for others but also for myself - honest to myself is key. I will have to keep thinking what would I say if "A Vida Doce" was created by someone else and they showed me this.

What I felt was easiest for me was to view the short and jot down aspects of the film which I personally thought could be improved. I also then confirmed the list with fellow students in my Media Studies class to double check I wasn't missing any major aspect out - maybe an aspect of the short that I knew took a long time to do and still didn't look right and knowing myself I would push to the side and leave it. That's why asking someone else I could make sure I wasn't doing that.

Colour Correction
Anyways one of the easiest aspect I noticed needed work done to was my colour correcting. The problem with colour correcting was that if too much editing was done to a particular scene - the scene would get a type of colour bleed and green/red pixels would be visible in the background which ruined the whole HD shot. I then had to ask my teachers and googled the problem and found my way round some forums and found out that I was basically over editing the clip which created the static pixels. To resolve this I reset the colour edit on that specific scene and re-edit the shot. The purpose of the colour correction was really to make the footage stand out and give it that professional look that I was desiring for my short film. There was traits that this could also be rendering problems.

Subtitles
Another problem was that the subtitles for my short seems too in your face. I felt to keep with the overall theme and feel of the short I should fade the subtitles to really make the whole piece flow. However saying that I only faded in and out when a subtitle was emerging or after the segment of subtitles ended. I also noticed that I found spelling and punctuation errors which made the whole short look unprofessional and gave it a shabby look.

Scene Adding/Cutting + Credits
I also had to do the stereotypical move and edits with removing certain shots that didn't seem to tie in with the whole short - they seemed more off putting. I then had to replace these with new shots which would stand out and connect with the message and visuals of the short film. I also added some credits to the end of the short to reiterate the stereotypical information needed after a film - Who created the film, the did the dialogue and who composted the music.

Audio
Lastly after giving the video one last watch the audio kept bugging me. For instants parts of the song was faded badly and at parts became too quite or too loud which was an ultimate. I also had parts where the background music was way too loud and you could not hear the dialogue. This was easy simple tweaks however it was a huge improvement

From this I feel that "A Vida Doce" will finally look like a professional short film and that I will be able to ensure that these improvements were worth while by acquiring feedback for my final product and seeing what the audience think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment