Monday 2 December 2013

2nd Draft - Short Film Poster

2nd Draft of Short Film Poster

SELF-FEEDBACK
Here is my first digital draft of my film poster, however my second overall draft. Almost instantly after completing the draft I already could see the flaws. The overall design was very simple but also keeping that professional element. I firstly used a photo which would overall illustrate the short as a whole for he its this simple photograph of an old person taking a photograph of the sunset.

Photograph
Being as I come from a background of photography I should have always edited the photo before even using it, however in this case I used the RAW file. This really gives the photograph no life and with a simple colour touch up I will be able to make this photograph stand out. The photograph needs some vibrancy and I will do this on Adobe Lightroom.

Reviews
The simple design might have become too simple and now just looks like I did a quick film poster. By only having two reviews the poster looks too plain and not as big. So by adding 2 more quotes. I also felt that but using 4 starts instead of 5 I am just underselling the short film and in actual fact give the film a bad image. The only reason for me giving the short 4 starts was that I felt I was giving that image of being "too good" however after speaking to fellow class mates of mine everyone explained that the best possible thing was to add more stars to give the film a better image.

Age Certificate/Awards/External Links
I also forgot to add very common factors/conventions of a film poster such as the parental age, any awards given and also any other information about the short for example social networking/websites. For the age restrictions I did not want to add a BBFF age certificate - specially those bright colourful ones as it will only distract the viewers of the poster. Instead I am going to opt for a more plain and simple age restriction with white text and boarders. For the award I wanted to give the short a real award to really give the poster the sense of life and that actually its really true. Saying this I had to go back into my blog and re-read the post on film festivals and begin to find one which would best suit my short (PALME D'OR - FESTIVAL DE CANNES 2014). Lastly I simply added the website, Facebook page and also a hash-tag to help the film trend on twitter. I placed all 3 of these things below the credits part of the film poster and used the same/similar font to the reviews.

Portuguese Edition/Landscape Edition
I also thought that as my short film is actually in Portuguese that I should also create a Portuguese film poster for that specific audience. As I am fluent in Portuguese most of the translations was very simple for me (My family did help me a little bit!). To further make this film poster unique and interested I also made a landscape edition of the whole poster which was simple to do on InDesign.This really illustrates that if this was real and that the poster was used for advertisement purposed that I was prepared for billboard/landscape advertisement space.

No comments:

Post a Comment