Thursday 26 September 2013

Refletion on Shots (Storyboard)

A film storyboard is essentially a large comic of the film or some section of the film produced beforehand to help film directors, cinematographers and television commercial advertising clients visualize the scenes and find potential problems before they occur.
For my planning of my short film I simply was unable to do a storyboard shot by shot. I had a clear undestadning of what I was looking for due to previous experiences of the Portuguese culture however when I ventured out and began filming it was more of a 'in the moment' type of filming. As I said due to me visting Portugal and knowning the cultural/my family culture I was able to know parts of what I am going to film, for example family partys where music is a huge influence. This meaning a full storyboard would be impossible with my film style, instead for this storyboard post I will list some of the key types of shots I knew I was going to shoot before going to Portugal. The othere scenes were more with the flow and through my eyes at the time (in the moment), just like a documentary/Digital Storytelling.

REFLECTION ON PLANNED SHOTS

Family Party Scenes/Wedding/
Being from a Portuguese background and having family out there my whole family always come together to celebrate birthdays during our summer vacation, this is mainly beacuse the whole family are together. I know that at my family partys we have strong Portuguese tradition of music, at my  family parties the celebrations are completely different to other people and their cultural background and I knew this would attract other audiences as its something new and different however for me its secound nature as I was brought up with it. My older brother also had a traditional Portuguese wedding which was another major opportunity to film with cultural/tradtional value.
Before my summer vacation I already noted the type of shot oppotunity which I knew was going to come up to I was prepared for these type of shots, however others were 'in the moment'. These party scenes would include music, dance, food, family members, etc.

Still from RAW Footage of brothers wedding.

Swimming Pools/Beach
Sterotypical scenes which give that summer feel, I will also be able to use this to connect to the script.

Thursday Market
As I explained on a previous post there is a famous market which occurs every thursday of the summer which I will go shoot at as this yet again holds cultural and tradtional value which I can link to the script of my short about family.

Travel
Traveling to Portugal was also a completely different to the norm. Instead of getting a simple plane and renting a car, we travel to Portsmouth and catch a 24 hour ferry to Spain, Santander and then do a 10 hour joruney to Portugal. It seems bad and don't get me wrong it is however it does me I can spent time with family before and after our holidays on the 24 hour boat, the journey is just like that famous saying of 'It's the little things in life'. Also just the travels I will be doing in Portugal and the different style of transport (old brick roads) will contrast well to countrys such as England.

SUMMARY
 It was really helpful that I wrote down the shots which I was certain I was going to capture whilst out in Portugal as it gave me a clear understanding of how much more I needed to film, overall I got around 150+ Videos all varying from 10secs. to 5minutes. The scenes which I knew I was going to shoot were already preapred in my script and it will be easy to link them into the narrative of the short in the editing process. That is why I had to create the script after shooting so that the narrative script would link with the footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment