Tuesday 27 August 2013

Analysis of previous student A2 work

Short Film
Parallel  by Matthew Thomas


Intro
The audience are first introduced to an introduction to the short film. This is to represent the production company of the film, however the design for this intro is completely distracting. In my opinion the intro is cheesy and ruins the introduction of the short film, just by seeing that intro then seeing the short film ruins the experience for me. Also the overall design/theme of the intro I didn't sort of understand, why is the title placed on metal and somethings burning in the corner, it doesn't make sense. However saying that it doesn't have to make sense it's only an intro. In my opinion the production company intro should be a simple black with text.

Concept
We are introduced to a character doing normal daily tasks in his morning day to day life, whilst this is going on we are left with cheesy background music. He goes from multiple stages from waking up, putting his clothes on, making breakfast, eating, getting ready to go out, and when he leaves the door that's when a split screen occurs, this is already half way into the film so it took a while for the film to become engaging. We are introduced to two of the same people however two completely different attitude, on one side one guys in a jacket and smoking and on the other ones in a suit all happy and smiling. Then they come together in a scene as if they are two different people maybe like twins or something. After this split screen is almost always used and we are entered in another clip where there are two different phones, probably one for each character, however the texts seem exactly the same just one is written in slang and one isn't, they both mean the same and in my opinion doesn't make sense. But short films don't have to make sense, that's the beauty of them. Then we a brought to a scene with a table set for i'm guessing the girl in the text. One of the guys girls doesn't turn up and he is the one who set up the table and the other guy's girl arrived and he is lounging on the sofa, then the short ends with a kiss. I mean talk about confusing, lots of things weren't answered and I just didn't understand/like the overall creation, but to be honest I don't have to like it and maybe his short was targeted at someone else and maybe the purpose of his short was to create questions. 

Shot/Cinematography
In my opinion I am a cinematography kind of guy. I love when shots are clean and perfectly shot. Cinematography is a major aspect for me and using a variety of angles. However this students work seems to look like a standard student movie, this is something I want my short film not to have. I want my short film to look professional and as if it wasn't created by a student. This film uses the stereotypical look and shots from any student films, boy wakes up, dresses up, makes breakfast, eats, then that is where the movie kicks off and takes it's own story. Student short films are beginning to have the same look and feel to them all which is starting to bore me and make me shy away from watching student short films.

Edit
The short film was very simply edited. He basically shot the film and then placed all the shorts in the order he wanted to create the short. The only major editing he did was probably creating the introduction and creating the split screen. There was no colour correction and the overall footage looked a bit flat. If there was a bit of work with colour correcting I feel that the film would hold more professional feel and look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment